First impressions are extremely important, especially when you’re looking to sell your house. Prospective buyers meticulously analyse all aspects of your property, as they need to envision themselves living at the property. Selling your homes and preparing to move house is a huge investment, and it all begins with the viewings to sell your home.
Before you start thinking about putting your house on the market, it’s well worth taking the extra time to make some home improvements, to ensure that your house has the best chance of achieving your asking price and getting a sale. If you’re wondering “how can I sell my house fast?”, it may be worth considering making home improvements to set your home up for a quicker sale.
1- The Exterior:
The exterior of your property is the first thing prospective buyers are going to see and can say a lot about the rest of your house without even stepping foot inside. It’s important to take care of the exterior of your property, and there’s lots of little tricks to take care of this.
- Ensure to mow the lawn, trim the hedges and neaten flowerbeds.
- Remove debris from the front entrance such as leaves, branches or little.
- Ensure cars are appropriately parked.
- Power wash the drive.
- Make sure your front door is presentable. Give it a deep clean or if you have the money, replace it.
- Invest in small accessories such as new doorknob, house number or name plaque.
2- Decorate with Neutrals:
Although you may like a splash of colour throughout your home, but you must consider the requirements of future homeowners and how you want the home to look when prospective buyers are viewing it. If you have an eclectic taste, you may want to consider redecorating with more neutral colours like whites, greys and beige. A neutral colour scheme throughout the property makes the house look more spacious and brighter.
If your house is filled with clutter, it’s probably a good idea to declutter before you open your home to viewings. When people are viewing your house, they need to envision it as their own property, which may be hard to do if there is clutter all over the property. If you’re wanting to declutter but still make your house appealing, here are some tips:
- If you don’t want to put everything in the trash, then consider taking it to storage temporarily while you conduct house viewings.
- Don’t clear everything away, your house still needs to have a personality to entice prospective buyers.
- Consider removing any bulky furniture to make the room look more spacious.
- Remove any items that are too personal, for example, letters, inappropriate pictures or objects.
- Ensure to give the house a deep clean and leave it in a presentable condition before the viewings take place.
Before you start redecorating and furnishing your house with more accessories, you may want to consider carrying out any minor repairs that need doing in the house. You want your house to look as well maintained as possible, and this can be done by ensuring any small DIY jobs are completed to a high standard. Things to consider repairing are:
- Holes in walls.
- Cracked tiles.
- Window and door seals.
- Broken furniture.
- Smashes windows or mirrors.
Decorate your home with some simple accessories to create a homely, minimalist feel. Having objects in your homes such as books, candles and plants makes your homes appear like it’s lived in- which to prospective buyers suggests that being in that property is comfortable and welcoming.
It encourages the prospective buyers to have an emotional response when being shown around the homes, and suggests that the property is loved and superficially, presents the homes as a show homes.